Thursday, September 24, 2009

Autumn Approacheth...

Today marks the one-week anniversary of my move to the Berkshires. More money has been spent in the past week than I would have preferred, but such is the burden of moving. All in all, it has been a great week, and I'm looking forward to what's in store for the next nine months. I've gotten to reconnect with people I had the pleasure of working with last summer and meet a lot of new people (well, new to me) that I'll be working and hanging out with for many months. I'm four days into rehearsals for the touring children's show I'll be performing for the duration of my residency, a fusion of the Hansel and Gretel story with another of Grimm's fairy tales, "The Three Golden Hairs." Rehearsals have been going really well so far, though they run 9-5 and can get exhausting.

Of course, the logical resolution would be to go to bed early and get lots of rest. But for those of you who don't already know, that ain't how theatre people do. Whether it's been family-style dinners, oohing and aahing over new episodes of The Office, or going to acclaimed restaurants a half-hour away and starting a "beer card" (you don't wanna know), I've been burning the proverbial midnight oil on a regular basis. But the important thing is that I'm having fun--more so, in fact, than I was having living in New York. One of the best things about my current setup is that I'm living in community with like-minded people with whom I get along, and there's always something to do. And with the onset of fall, my favorite season, the leaves of the Berkshires are just starting to change colors, and they're already beautiful. It may not have everything, but it has enough of what I need for it to be a little slice of heaven.

The coming of autumn always gives me this great feeling that I can't quite identify. I love breaking out the sweatshirts and jeans, smelling that crispness in the air...and certain music just makes more sense at this time of year. Pretty much everything by The Early November, for sure; I'm also discovering that I like a lot of Iron & Wine beyond the "Such Great Heights" cover from the Garden State soundtrack, and that it provides nice accompaniment for the autumnal mindset. I've started compiling an "Autumn" playlist in my iTunes, but I'm bad at making playlists, so I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't go very far. I just had a discussion with one of my roommates about choral music, and I had fun re-remembering my love of Bruckner's "Os justi," Pärt's "The Beatitudes," and pretty much everything Eric Whitacre has ever written. Sadly, I don't think they would fit well on my autumn mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment