Sunday, June 14, 2009

New York, New York

Here it is, at long last: my first post from my new state of residence, New York! This is also my first post from my brand-new, super-sexy MacBook. Since I opened the box I have not been able to put this thing down. I don't know how I dealt with my old laptop for so many years.

I drove up here on Friday with my dad in a big-ass white Ford cargo van we rented, which we literally packed to the brim with my furniture, clothes, and other personal effects. It was a sheer miracle that we fit all that stuff into the van. It made me think about how much stuff I actually have, and how much of it I actually need. I did a good bit of purging before leaving Virginia, sorting out old clothes to donate to charity, but I still feel overwhelmed by the sheer amount of crap I own.

Things have been pretty chaotic here at my grandmother's house for the past couple of days, what with my stuff strewn everywhere and the effort to get all my stuff situated. I got to see both my dad's brothers yesterday, which was nice. Usually I only get to see them the one time I'm up here every year; now I'm just a short drive away from both of them. I've yet to go into the city because of all the logistics I have to take care of, but I had to turn down an opportunity to see Shakespeare in the Park yesterday, which was a total bummer. But I'm hoping to attempt getting a ticket this week, which means I'll probably have to get in line at Central Park by 8 am.

I have an appointment at a bartending school in Manhattan on Wednesday afternoon, which I'm looking forward to. Hopefully it will be a good setup and I can try my hand at mixology. This place also professes to have really good job placement, which is nice. Oddly enough, though, they didn't tell me anything about tuition, deferring the topic until my appointment. That kind of gave me a weird feeling. But hopefully things will work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment